Natural Ways to Boost Immunity
Natural Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- Sunlight and vitamin D3 supplementation. Getting morning sun first thing in the day is so important for overall health. Even if it’s foggy and you don’t think you are getting anything, full spectrum light directly in your eyes first thing in the morning will help regulate your circadian rhythm as well and increase natural vitamin D absorption. This is also the perfect time to get your vitamin D levels checked, as a deficiency will leave your immune system very vulnerable to both frequency and severity of illness. Vitamin D also has an impact on mood, especially if you are sensitive to mood changes during the winter months. Some studies even suggest vitamin D as even more effective than the flu vaccine. If you are very deficient, injections will get your numbers up the fastest. Liquid form is also a favorite of mine as it is very bioavailable.
- Bone broth. Bone broth is liquid gold. It is incredibly healing to the gut- which is the foundation of the immune system. I like drinking bone broth as both a preventative measure and recovery aid if I am feeling under the weather. The benefits also extend to bone and skin health. Opt for grass-fed and organic whenever possible.
- Vitamin C. It’s a good idea to add this into your supplement regimen now. I take a minimum of 1,000 mg/day and up it to 3,000-4,000 mg daily during times of illness.
- Elderberry Syrup. This elixir has many healing properties that can be taken both preventatively as well as during times of illness. I found I started healing much faster from colds when I added this in.
- Colostrum powder. Colostrum is very healing to the gut lining-which in turn has many immune benefits. It can alleviate any gut issues you may be experiencing, as gut health and immune health go hand in hand.
- Probiotics. High quality probiotics are crucial for both prevention and healing of acute illnesses. They have been shown to cut severity and duration of illness, as well as general immune and gut health benefits.
- Mineral supplementation. A multi mineral supplement, or trace mineral drops added to water, is another one of my secret weapons for immune health. Best taken every day and can be increased during times of illness.
- Get labs checked. If you haven’t had blood work in a while or just want to optimize wellness this time of year, ask your provider for a full panel of blood work. Starting now to correct any deficiencies can help protect and bolster your immune system in the coming months.
These are all methods that I personally implement as soon as the fall season begins and have found a huge improvement in overall immunity- both in terms of frequency and severity of illness. As always, consult with your healthcare provider about your personal health goals and talk with them about adding in some of these holistic and very effective ways to stay well. Cheers to good health!